"Travel and change of place impart new vigor to the mind." ~Seneca

Travel with us as we take on Europe from two generational perspectives! We will do our best to give you a side-by-side
analysis of our tour through England, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Italy, and France.

Monday, July 12, 2010

Beaune to Paris

Jenn:

Wow! What a day. We had an early wake up call because we were traveling to Paris and had many miles to cover with unpredictable traffic ahead. We had our first stop in the village of Beaune which is in the heart of the Burgundian wine country called the gold coast, a 50 km long stretch of land that is completely covered in vineyards. We did not have nearly enough time to explore this wonderful little area, especially considering the fact that it was market day and the entire square was filled with locals selling their goods. It was so fun to wander through the stalls and purchase fruits, breads, sandwiches and other treats for our lunch stop on the way to Paris! While we annoyed the locals who were frustrated with us only buying a single piece of fruit (they were making fun of us right in front of our faces) it was good to have to communicate and exchange money. I was very excited because I found a little old lady who had filled all of the baskets on her bike so full that she could no longer ride it. She was pushing it down the little streets on her way home and provided a perfect photo opportunity for me! I'd love to head back to this region some day and explore the vineyards in detail.

We then headed into Paris and hit a few pockets of rain. With the crazy temperatures we’ve had, this water turned the weather into what felt like Philadelphia in July-UGH! By the time we made it in to Paris though, the weather had cooled off a bit and the rain was only coming in random, annoying sprinkles. We took a cruise on the Seine River to get acquainted with monuments and the layout of the city. Mom was just floored by the buildings and churches that lined the river!The funny part was standing in line and hearing the Eagles playing over the speaker system…certainly not very French J

When we went up the Eiffel Tower, the weather had cleared and we had beautiful blue skies with some quick-moving, puffy white clouds. Being above the city of Paris is quite a magical moment. It’s wonderful to walk the 360 degrees around the tower and look out across the city spread before you. I pointed out the main sights so mom could get herself situated, we took some photos, and then headed back down to get some additional shots of the area.

Back at our hotel, which includes air conditioning, we quickly got ready to head out for the Caberet. This was one of my “must do” items for the trip, but mom was just humoring me going to the “freak show.” A very interesting perspective because she LOVED it and was shocked. It was Moulin Rouge mixed with trapeze acts from the circus, Folies Bergeres, the Nutcracker Ballet, and Chippendales. Yes, the ladies were topless and scantily clad. Quite an experience! After a long day out and about, mom was asleep before her head even hit the pillow. Good thing we have 3 more days in this great city!

Gold Coast Vineyards

The age-old, historic hospital in Beaune with the famous tiled roof

Heading home from Saturday morning at the market

Love this shot!

A local cafe in Beaune: Menu of the day

Market in the square

Quaint streets and beautiful architecture

Mom:

Our drive to Paris took us to a little town along the way called Beaune, the medieval town in the Burgundy region known for it’s wine. I almost took a bottle for you Bill, but the thought of traveling with it did not make sense….but it’s the thought that counts, right?

We had a 1 hour stop and found the equivalent of our Farmer’s Market. Bill, it was just like Andrew Zimmern with foods down the alleyways everywhere. Most of the foods I knew but there were indeed some I had never seen. I bought a sandwich of a baguette, ham, turkey and some kind of mustard sauce. I then bought a single peach that was a disk shape with white fruit. It was delicious! It was an experience in a hurried marketplace with people butting in front of you in line and rushing their purchases. These people had less of a tendency to speak English (or chose not to?) so it was another adventure. My how my horizons are broadening!

We got to Paris just in time for our Seine River cruise. I am blown over by all of the history here. From the be-headings to the Moulin Rouge, this city knows how to live life!!! I learned a lot about Napoleon, most importantly that most of the education system used today is due to him.

Before we got to our hotel, we went to the Eiffel Tower. So many people were waiting in line but we got through to the front since we were on the tour. Even with that, we waited in long lines for security checks and the elevator. I was struck by how big it really is! We went to the second level and not the third since that line was so long we would never have made it back to the bus. The view was spectacular and it gave me a quick idea of how the city is laid out. Jenn said I HAD to see it at night, since it was so different with the lights (and you can’t see the hoards of people).

After getting to our AIR CONDITIONED ROOM we rushed to get ready for the Cabaret show. So, this was my gift to Jenn and her gift to me was the Swiss Folklore show. I really thought it was going to be a freak show and off colored jokes, etc. The funny thing was that Jenn said it would be a freak show but that it was something worth experiencing once in your life. I was so surprised! These were professional ballet dancers with extremely versatile dances; from Baroque dances with white wigs to long haired blondes dancing very suggestively on motorcycles. The only thing was that there were a few of these women (men danced as well) with beautiful costumes with peepholes where the interest would be focused. My grandchildren are reading this so I’m keeping it “G” rated! I’m so glad we get another night in the same hotel. HOPEFULLY THE WEATHER WILL COOL OFF A BIT?

2 comments:

Britt said...

Mom, way to take one for the team! Glad it surprised you in a GOOD way!

Unknown said...

I'm so glad your horizons are broadening........ what stories you'll have to tell!

Post a Comment